Making the most of study abroad!

A few weeks ago we had our autumn break, which I took full advantage of and traveled to Oslo for a few days, and to end the week the university’s mentor program had arranged a cabin trip for the exchange students, which is apparently a traditional part of Danish university life.

I started my trip to Oslo with very little sleep, and arrived early enough to watch the sun rise over the city which was a really wonderful way to begin the week. By complete accident I managed to stumble onto the parade route for the official welcoming ceremony of the president of India to Norway, and ended up standing at probably the best possible vantage point for watching the event. Having the opportunity to see the Norwegian royal family on my first day in the country was a very special experience, and it was a great start to my trip there. I would say without a doubt that the best museum I visited while in Oslo was the Nobel peace centre, which is, as the name suggests, a collection of exhibits relating to the Nobel peace prize, including the winners of the prize, the work they have undertaken in order to promote peace, and also a celebration of the creator of the peace prize Alfred Nobel. It was a really eye-opening experience, and one which I would definitely recommend visiting if ever you are in the area!

After returning from Oslo, I very quickly had to prepare to leave on my second trip of the week. The cabin trip was two night of activities and getting to know more of the international students that are studying here. It was nice to get to get out of the city for a while and see some of the Danish countryside, and the cabin which we were staying in had a lovely view over the sea. It was a very busy weekend, the highlight for me being making snobrød over a campfire on our last evening.

Sunrise over the royal palace, Oslo

Sunrise over the royal palace, Oslo

The Norwegian royal family from afar

The Norwegian royal family from afar

The Nobel Peace Centre

The Nobel Peace Centre

Making campfire bread

Making campfire bread