London Comic Con

So a few weeks ago, I went to London’s Comic Con. Two essays and a presentation later, I finally have time to write about my experience.

For those who don’t know, Comic Con is a large convention for comics and other subcultures. Think of it as a large gathering of nerds and geeks. I’m unashamed to call myself a geek and for the longest time, I’ve wanted to go to one of these Cons. Unfortunately, life always got in the way. Whenever there was a Con in one city, I was always somewhere else. So, finding out that London was going to have its own Comic Con was some of the best news I’ve received.

Going to Comic Con was an unforgettable experience. I wasn’t sure I was in the right place, but as soon as I saw people in costumes on the DLR, I knew I was headed in the right direction.

Once at the right place, I waited for over an hour and a half in line, chatting it up with the people I met. We were all in line (queue?) purgatory. However, San Diego Comic Con, the largest Con of them all, has lines that last for five hours, and that’s just to get in. Overall, the line was mercifully short, but I had fun talking with fellow geeks.

After I was finally officially in, I walked around, talking with people and looking at art. At Cons like this, people are always selling their art. It’s always interesting to see what people have made. I even bought a few pieces. For those interested in going to a Con in the future, people there sell fan art, original art, and their own comics. There are also people selling shirts, comic books, manga, DVDs, action figures, and an assortment of other cool, and sometimes weird, stuff.

And oh yeah, there are the cosplayers. A lot of people at these Cons cosplay, meaning they dress up as their favorite characters from anime, comics, or anything else. Some of the best cosplays are the ones you would never expect:

(Please hold, my Child)

I can’t make a costume; I don’t have the talent or knowledge of how to make one. But I’m always impressed with the costumes people come up with. While walking around, there were so many characters I recognized and many I didn’t.

Finally, I thought I’d leave you with a little game. Since there were so many cosplayers, I’ll give you a few pictures and you can figure out what characters they are. The answers will be at the bottom. I’ll give two easy ones, two medium ones, and two challenges.

1. IMG_0525

2.  IMG_0497

3. IMG_0513

4. IMG_0514

5. IMG_0521

6. IMG_0506

(Answers: 1. The 10th Doctor from Doctor Who; 2. Gokus and Vegetas from Dragonball Z; 3. Korra from the Legend of Korra; 4. Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan; 5. Gomez and Morticia Addams from the Addams Family; 6. Ira Gamagori and Mako Mankanshoku from Kill la Kill)