Third year project update – The results are in !

From my last post on my third year project, you will be aware that I am currently working on nanofibres for their use in protective respirators. I can now confidently say that I have finished all my experiments. One aspect of my experiments involved making the nanofibres using a machine (which spins really fast) called Jet Spinning. Below you can see an image of what the nanofibres look like once they have been made – they look a bit like candy floss!

Image 2 - Collecting nanofibres from the Jet Spinning machine.

Image 1 – Collecting nanofibres from the Jet Spinning machine.

 

Image 3 - Nanofibres after they have been made !

Image 2 – Nanofibres after they have been made !

The other part of my experiment was to test how well the filters made from nanofibres, protected against air contaminants such as dust. I then managed to look at these filters under a microscope where dust particles were captured in the filter:

Image 4 - Dust particle captured in the nanofibres

Image 4 – Dust particle captured in the nanofibres.

 

Image 5 - A close up view of a captured dust particle.

Image 5 – A close up view of a captured dust particle.

Now that I have finished my experiments, the next thing I need to do is write a report talking about my third year project, as well as my key findings from my experiments. After that, I will then have an oral examination where I have to formally answer questions about my project to examiners. The journey so far has been such a great learning experience and is definitely one I will cherish for years to come!

Share Button

Comments are closed.

©2017 QMUL Student Blogs