Starting as I mean to go on…

Week one of fourth year is over! I already feel like I’m drowning in work. It’s only been 5 days and I’ve already written and handed in one case report, booked two patient appointments, done 3 days of placement, sat through six lectures andddd started revising for my third year finals exams (our finals exams are in November for some weird reason).

I’m trying to put everything I’ve learnt over the last 3 years into use. So here are a few of the mistakes and what I’ve changed because of them:

In first year I did fairly well in a mock exam and then I became quite complacent and thought I could revise 80 lectures in 10 days for the real exam. This was not a wise idea. This year I’ve made my notes well in advance and started revising early so I have time to go over things. Also since we don’t have study leave I’ll be doing most of my revision in the evenings which cuts down my time pretty drastically.

Usually when it comes to summer exams everything else in life pretty much shuts down. Most university societies go into hibernation. However, November exams mean the rest of the world is still awake and there’s no point waiting to get involved in stuff in the summer because it all dies down! This year I’m part of the qmessenger editing team so I’ll have to do my bit for that. I’m also helping out at the Queen Mary open day and hopefully I’ll be part of the Saving faces society committee. Time management is key; there’s 24 hours in a day – use them wisely.

There’s that slight sense of panic when you forget to book in your patients until 2 days before and then it’s too short notice. This year I’m going to make sure I book as many of my sessions well in advance so I don’t have to worry about it all the time!

Requirements. Requirements. Requirements. That all too familiar word for dental students. However much you want to care about the patient. And believe me when I say I really do. Requirements are what life comes down to in the end. This year I’m going to try and finish them as early as possible! That might be easier said than done but we’ll see how it goes.

Basically the aim of this year is to be more organised so for me that means incessant list making. I’ve already made mine for this weekend. Let’s hope it’s a productive one.