Roman Baths and Prehistoric Stonehenge

A few weeks ago, I went on a student tour to Stonehenge in Wiltshire and Bath in Somerset. I am very fascinated with Stonehenge, because when I was a child I watched bizarre documentaries detailing its association with aliens, which of course sounds ridiculous to me now. I was also very excited about visiting Bath, because I had learned about the city last year after reading about the Wife of Bath in Chaucer’s Canturbury Tales.

At Stonehenge, we were given headsets for an audio tour, which was very informative. There was also a visitor center and museum-type exhibitions about Stonehenge’s history. I got to learn about how Stonehenge was used as a burial site and how people believed Stonehenge had healing powers. Our trip was very short, but definitely enjoyable since Stonehenge is such a historical structure.

Stonehenge

Replica of a Neolithic house

Afterwards, we went to see Bath, Somerset. The city was very beautiful, especially when you view it while walking along the River Avon. According to my tour guide, the river is a popular place for marriage proposals. There are also a lot of interesting architectural sites in Bath. Two famous structures are The Circus and Royal Crescent. The former was designed by John Wood the Elder and the latter by John Wood the Younger, two father and son architects. Together, the two structures are said to form a question mark.

Bath is also the site of the Roman Baths, which are now part of a museum. Tickets to this site are around 14 pounds. It was originally thought that the bath water in the Roman Baths was rich and contained healing properties. At the end of the tour, there was a fountain for visitors to taste the water for free. Although I can’t say it made me feel “healed,” it did have an interesting mineral taste. Overall, Bath is a very beautiful city and I am so glad I decided to spend the day here.

The Circus (This is a bad angle, but when seen in full, it looks grand!)

The Crescent (also a picture that does not serve justice)

The Roman Baths

One of the exhibits at the museum

Roman Bath water to drink

River Avon

IMG_7125 IMG_7160 (1)

Bath Abbey