Is there really anything called “Failure”?

Hi everyone, and welcome to another week of my blogging. Today’s topic will be focusing on the illusion of failure, and why I think you have nothing to lose if you think you have “failed” in something.

So as I previously discussed in one of my earlier blogs, this week I started the first week of my robotic arm problem based learning (PBL) experiment. The reason I think it would be useful to discuss this is because I want you all to understand the thought process of what happens when something doesn’t go as you wanted it to. For my PBL (A way of learning through solving problems), I had to build a circuit (a path for the electricity to flow) using some wires and components using a breadboard (see my blog called “Engineering instrumentation is amazing!” if you want to understand what these are) and unfortunately, I wasn’t successful in building the circuit I wanted. Now, many people who would have been in the same situation as me would likely have given up already but for me, I think differently about it. For me, every “failure” is a new lesson. In other words, I use my “failures” to understand what I did wrong so that next time I can do it right. Fortunately for me, there is still time to correct my mistakes which is exactly what I plan to do. Below I have also attached some images of the circuit I tried to build and I have also included some bullet points of things I need to think about to improve my success:

20151126_105046instrumentation

Figure 1A (Left) and Figure 1B (Right): The circuit I tried to build was not as I wanted it to be.

My action plan for the next lab session:

– Find out where to position each little piece on the breadboard (board that you put the objects onto)

– Find out how a breadboard works.

– Make sure I understand the aims of the experiment so I stay on track with completing it

– Ask for help when needed and don’t give up.

From today’s blog what I want you all to take away is that even-though you may be unsuccessful with something, such as not getting the grades you want in an exam, or not getting into the school sports team, always remember it is not what you have failed in that is important, what is important is what you have learned from this “failure”, and how you will ensure you will achieve what you want next time (see my blog called “setting goals and succeeding” for more on achieving what you want).

Just to finish off today’s blog I want to share with you a quote I tell myself everyday and what I think it truly motivating which is:

“A quitter NEVER wins. A winner NEVER quits.”