How I secured my year-long internship

What will my internship be about?

As I excitedly wait for my exam results, I thought this would be a great opportunity to tell you all about the year-long industrial placement I managed to secure starting from this summer. One of my current main interests is to do with the industry of digital health. This industry encompasses many different sectors which includes wearable devices connected to mobile apps, digitized patient health records, virtual reality and many more! Imagine being able to have a device which measures your heart rate while being connected to your mobile phone. This is an example of one thing I could be expected to do during my internship.

Image 1: Example of a wearable heart rate monitor and mobile app device by a company called Under Armour

Image 1: An example of a wearable device and mobile app to measure heart rate by a company called Under Armour (this is not the exact same wearable device I will be using during my internship).

What did I do to secure my internship?

Securing my internship involved being very proactive – this is a must have characteristic for everyone! Through sending speculative emails for internship opportunities, I was accepted by the company based on my skills set and previous experience on my CV. I was then asked to attend an interview which I did and was able to complete successfully. This brings me to my next point which is to always be prepared. Without previous preparation of tailoring my CV to the companies I was applying to, as well as anticipating possible interview questions I may be asked, I may not have been able to secure this internship in the first place. QMUL was very helpful during the process of my preparations, where in particular, the departmental specific industrial manager for my course helped improve my CV, as well as gave me advice on how to prepare for interviews. For example, one useful tip for tailoring a CV I used was checking the company website for current roles and reading job descriptions. In this way, I was able to ensure the skills and experience I outlined on my CV were aligned with what the company was looking for. In regards to interviews, one main tip was to understand the power of pausing for thought when asked a question during an interview – I used to think pausing to think about how to answer a question was a bad thing as it may show a lack of knowledge to the interviewer.

Final thoughts!
I cannot wait for my internship to begin this summer, where I will finally get to apply the current knowledge I have gained during my studies. In addition, the fact that I will be helping to improve the lives of people through the work I will be carrying out during my internship makes it even more motivating!