Gettin’ my geek on

London is an amazing place for anyone, but if you’re a geek it is the place to be. Allow me to share some of my fabulous geek adventures during my time in the UK.

Conventions: For you non-geeks out there, conventions are where a group of geeks who like a similar thing gather for the weekend in a hotel near the airport and collectively squee over their shared obsession interests. And because it’s London, there are often actors and other creative folks from the various shows/movies/etc who attend to share anecdotes, answer querulously-voiced questions, and sign autographs. I’ve been to four of these conventions in the past six months and have met some lovely people as well as some of my favorite actors from shows like “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “True Blood,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Doctor Who.” Basically it’s a fun way to meet some celebrities without worrying about getting arrested for stalking. Plus the parties are a blast.

Location tours: I’ve mentioned the Doctor Who Experience, and if you’re a Sherlock Holmes fan you can also check out the museum at 221B Baker Street. But the one that turned me into a puddle of geek joy was the Harry Potter Studio Tour, which is so incredible I can’t even put it into words. Here, have some pictures instead.

Where it begins. Also where we all started making squeaking noises.

may have been pretending to try on the Sorting Hat here. Maybe.

Diagon Alley, life-size. Geek behind the camera, in heaven.

Animatronic Monster Book of Monsters in action. I could not stop giggling.

I asked them very politely if I could live here. They said no. 🙁

And then there’s this.

I know, right? The working studio space was successfully transformed into a memorabilia warehouse for fans. It’s a bit pricey for the tour, but totally worth it if you have any love for the films. Also? BUTTERBEER.

Even more delicious than it looks. *hic*