Engineering Instrumentation is amazing!

Hi everyone, I hope you are all still with me for the next step of our university journey together – this week we will explore a specific area within my degree course.

Today I want to talk about my first encounter with engineering instrumentation – Something I never knew about before (which makes me just like you reading this for the first time). In simple terms, engineering instrumentation is mainly learning about some areas about electronics and control systems.  For example; when you are in your bedroom and you switch your light on or while you turn on your games console, you are already applying some of the principles taught in engineering instrumentation without even knowing!

Also to mention before I forget, I have a really cool project coming up soon where I will be making a robotic arm (so excited!) and will try to let you know how I get on with it.

Here is an image taken from my lecture (lesson) where my lecturer (like a teacher) showed us something called a breadboard (a place you can connect wires and stuff to make electricity run like the light switch I mentioned):

Screenshot 2015-10-08 22.12.37 (2)

In the image the square block with black dots is the breadboard, the battery is a normal battery and the brown/gold color wires on the white surface (on the left) are called resistors (something which makes electricity slower).

This is just a thin slice of the kind of things I get up to in engineering instrumentation and as you can see, university can be practical and not just about reading textbooks. This brings me to an important point: When choosing what degree to study at university make sure you choose something you will enjoy as this is something you may have to do for a minimum of 3 years. One thing I would suggest is brainstorming the kind of things you like and then ranking them based on which things you like the most and least (for example: debating, using your hands, experimenting, reading, being creative, working through a challenging problem, designing things or working with people).

Could you be the next person to change the world?