A Day in the life of an English Student

This week I thought I would blog about what I get up to on a typical day so you could gain an insight into the everyday life of an English student. My schedule varies day-to-day: my Tuesdays are hectic as I have two lectures, each of which are followed by a seminar. However, on Mondays and Thursdays, I only have one lectures and a seminar. I have eight contact-hours per week. This means I have four lectures and four seminars per week. This may not sound like a lot, but the nature of an English degree means that I have to spend a lot of time preparing for these lectures and seminars: doing the set reading, researching historical and political contexts, and exploring the critical framework of the texts. I also have to do assignments throughout the year for each of my modules, so I have to plan and write essays nearly every week. On top of this, I have to balance part-time work and other social commitments. So here is a summary of what I got up to last Tuesday:

6:30 -8:00 am:   I am afraid I am one of those incredibly annoying morning people! I woke up, had a shower, got ready for the day. Then I had breakfast as I caught up with the news. As a Humanities student, it’s always important to be up-to-date with current affairs – you may never know when you will need a topical reference!

8:00-11:00 am:  I read Oroonoko by Aphra Benn for Renaissance Literary Culture – my favourite module!

Oroonoko by Aphra Behn

Oroonoko by Aphra Behn

11:15-12:00 am: It takes me approximately 20 minutes on the tube to get to Mile End from my house. But I have to walk to the station from my house and then walk from the station at Mile End to my lecture theatre, so it actually ends up being a 45-minutes journey altogether.

12:00-1:00 pm: I had my lecture for Renaissance Literary Culture.

1:00-2:00 pm: My lecture was followed by a seminar

2:00-3:00 pm: Lunch!

3:00-4:00 pm: Romantics and Revolutionaries Lecture.

4:00-5:00 pm: Romantics and Revolutionaries Seminar

5:00-6:00 pm: A very quick catch up with my friends, Kendra and Xenia

6:00-7:00 pm: I met with my Romantics group to discuss our presentation. We brainstormed some ideas, and allocated tasks, and topics for each of us to research.

7:00-7:45 pm: Journey home

8:00- 8:30 pm: I had dinner and watched a bit of Made in Chelsea (I know it’s reality TV, but it was a very long day!)

8:30 – 11:30 pm: I started on my Postcolonial and Global Literatures reading.

burnt-shadows

Incredible book. I would definitely recommend it!

11:30 – Bed time.

This is my typical Tuesday but some days are much more relaxed. But I just used Tuesday so you think I am super productive, and also to give you an insight into my most busy day!